How to send bulk SMS messaging
- An organisations text messaging system is usually delivered through contracts with outside hosts or mobile phone companies. You should contact the companies mobile phone contractor for IT assistance.
- Bulk texts allows you to send a personalised text message to a group of recipients.
- The delivery of these messages can be scheduled in advance.
- You may need internet connection and a web browser to build your groups to which you wish to send your text messages.
Note: There are various factors that can impact the cost of implementing a mobile text messaging campaign including length of program, number of subscribers, number of messages sent and the custom features of the program.
Tips for successful SMS messaging
- Keep messages short < 160 characters, including spaces and punctuation.
- Make messages engaging. Write relevant, timely, clear and actionable messages. Ensure the content is readable.
- Use abbreviations and Latin characters sparingly and only when they are easily understood.
- Provide access to additional information. Include your organisation name in the text so users know who is sending the message and include a phone number and/or URL to a mobile website.
- Include opt-out options. These characters also need to be figured into the maximum length of 160 characters.
- Promote your text messaging efforts on mobile sites, social media and other spaces.