Flickr is mainly used as an image hosting website however, it also has video hosting functions. Flickr users share and embed personal photographs on the website and the service is also used by bloggers to host images that they embed in blogs and social media.
Use of Flickr in Food risk Communication
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) use Flickr in food risk communication. When an FDA- regulated product is defective or potentially harmful, removing it from the market may be necessary. In this situation, FDA upload photos of recalled products to Flickr to enable accurate identification by consumers.
Advantages of Flickr
- Videos and pictures are one of the cornerstones of the Internet. They can drive a lot of content when the right things are posted at the right time. There are many ways to engage with a video or photo, e.g. commenting, sharing, social bookmarking and so on.
- Image sharing provides value to health communication activities by providing public health images that users can easily place on websites, blogs or other social media sites.
- Attractiveness of videos and images encourage people to view these channels.
- More than 100 million photos are uploaded to Facebook every day. Organizations can take advantage of this trend by providing visual images to fans and followers that show public health “in action”, reinforce health messages, or simply present existing information in a new, visually interesting format.
- Flickr allows users to post pictures instantly as well as pick who may or may not view those pictures.
Disadvantages of Flickr
- As content creation continues to improve on social media channels and on the internet as a whole, the need for fresh graphics and engaging content also increases.
- Video clips and pictures do not feature strongly as communication channels during food crises ; however, the videos that were posted had a very large outreach and therefore the significance of this channel should not be discounted.
- Users of these channels can become dependent on communicating a message rather than becoming involved in 2 way communication.
- If a Flickr user wants to display a large amount of photos they have to upgrade their package which does require a small fee.
- Uploading of videos on Flickr is only for paying members.